[R-sig-ME] How to vary residual variance with covariate and per factor in mcmcGLMM

LOMMEN Suzanne suzanne.lommen at unifr.ch
Fri Mar 31 11:15:44 CEST 2017

Many thanks!
Suzanne

From: Jarrod Hadfield [mailto:j.hadfield at ed.ac.uk]
Sent: 30 March 2017 07:44
To: LOMMEN Suzanne; r-sig-mixed-models at r-project.org
Subject: Re: [R-sig-ME] How to vary residual variance with covariate and per factor in mcmcGLMM

cc-ed back to the list...

DIC isn't meaningful in this context - I would ignore it.

My suggestion assumes that the variance increases to the square of the covariate. Sometimes people square-root the covariate (if it is positive) if they want a positive linear relationship. A negative relationship is more tricky. You could have 1/logsize1 but this is going to behave badly at values close to zero, or perhaps 1/size1 or 1/sqrt(size1).

Cheers,

Jarrod