[R-sig-ME] Binary response animal models in MCMCglmm

Jacob Berson jacob.berson at research.uwa.edu.au
Tue Mar 28 10:24:07 CEST 2017

Hi Jarrod and Pierre

Thank you both very much for your responses.

Pierre, that script is really useful - thanks for making it available.

Jarrod, your answers have been a great help. In regards to 3/, yes you are
correct that my two responses were male and female traits so each row only
had one value and one NA. And yes, my motivation for using that prior for
this model was an attempt at a bivariate form of the prior suggested in de
Villemereuil et al 2013. Both running the model with nu=3, and a different
model using us(sex):animal, have given me similar estimates which are much
closer to what I would expect.

As a follow up...

In the case of a genetic correlation between two binary traits where both
traits have been measured on the same individual (i.e. each row has a value
for both responses), is there a way of fixing both of the residual variances
but estimating the residual correlation? Am I right in my understanding of
below that using V=diag(2) and fix=1 should always be avoided in this
circumstance as it will bias the genetic correlation estimate in the
direction of the residual correlation?

Thanks again for the help, I really appreciate it.

Jacob