[R-sig-ME] GLMM - R squared

Ben Bolker bbolker at gmail.com
Wed Mar 22 23:19:56 CET 2017

You have the same number of random effects grouping levels (plots, 16)
as total observations (16).  The way that the conditional and marginal
R-squareds differ is by adding an observation-level random effect to
the model; since you already have an observation-level random effect
in your model, adding another observation-level random effect doesn't
make a difference.

While we're at it, I would be *very* careful fitting a model with 4-6
parameters (depending on whether you count the intercept and/or the
random effects variance) to a data set with 16 points; a general rule
of thumb (Harrell, *Regression Modeling Strategies*) is that you need
*at least* 10-20 data points per parameter ...

Possibly of interest:

library(dplyr)
ss <- arm::rescale ## avoid Error: Unsupported type CLOSXP for column "width"
comuni1sc <- comuni1 %>%
  mutate_each(funs(ss),-c(riquplanta,plot,lot))
MM1B <- update(MM1A,data=comuni1sc)
library(ggplot2)
dotwhisker::dwplot(MM1B)+geom_vline(xintercept=0,lty=2)