[R-sig-ME] Patch for pedigreemm 0.3-3 plus questions

Roby Joehanes RobyJoehanes at hsl.harvard.edu
Wed Feb 8 19:51:39 CET 2017

Dear all:

Attached please find the patch for pedigreemm 0.3-3, with the following changes:
1. Control options are now passed through to the optimizeLmer / optimizeGlmer, including optimizer, calc.derivs, etc. This saves about 15% of time.
2. Allowing direct matrix specification on pedigree. This will allow broader application in genetics, such as allowing cryptic relatedness to stand in as pedigree matrix.

A few questions from me. I think pedigreemm tries to call lmer / glmer once to get @pp (for Zt, primarily, but also X, Lambdat, and Lind), @resp (only for REML), @flist and @Gp, then followed up with optimizeLmer or optimizeGlmer. I think it is a big waste of time since most of these can be constructed offline (i.e., without actually computing the results), like in pedigreemm version 1.1 or so. Is there a way in lme4 package to do that instead of calling lmer / glmer? Is lme4::lFormula / lme4::glFormula the right way? Did I overlook something?

Thank you!

Sincerely,
Roby

CONFIDENTIAL NOTICE:

This electronic mail transmission contains confidential information
including Protected Health Information (PHI) that is legally privileged.
If you are not the intended recipient, or designee, you are hereby
notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of any and
all attachments to this transmission is STRICTLY PROHIBITED. If you
have received this transmission in error, please notify the sender
immediately to arrange for return or destruction of these documents.