[R-sig-ME] Random intercept/slopes on two correlated outcomes

Theodore Lytras thlytras at gmail.com
Wed Feb 1 10:39:58 CET 2017

Dear Thierry,

Thank you, this helps indeed.
However, are you sure that this models the random slopes (age | id) as well?

I tried it on my data, I indeed get very similar results as with the two
separate models, both for the fixed and for the random part.
For the random part, I got:

Random effects:
 Groups   Name    Variance Std.Dev. Corr
 id       traitY1 0.56144  0.7493
          traitY2 0.93665  0.9678   0.98
 Residual         0.06432  0.2536

The variances for traitY1 and traitY2 are very close to the random intercept
variances for the two separate models. But where are the variances for the
random slopes??

Also, the 0.98 above, is it the correlation between the outcomes? Or should I
look at the "Correlation of Fixed Effects" part in the summary() output, where
the correlation between traitY1 and traitY2 is reported as 0.925 ??

A minor detail: the first "trait" in your formula, the one after the 0, isn't
it redundant? [ Y ~ 0 + trait + trait * (age+X) + (0+trait|id)  ]

Thank you again,

Theodore

Στις Τετάρτη, 1 Φεβρουαρίου 2017 9:49:58 Π.Μ. EET Thierry Onkelinx έγραψε: