[R-sig-ME] modeling question

Ben Bolker bbolker at gmail.com
Mon Jan 16 22:59:52 CET 2017

That seems perfectly reasonable.  There are a couple of things to
consider, although you may or may not find that your data supports
that much complexity.

(1) The relationship between bird density and invert biomass, as well
as the intercept (i.e., expected bird density at invert_biomass=0, or
better invert_biomass=<some sensible reference quantity>)

lme(Bird.density~Invertebrate biomass,
random=~invert_biomass|Plot_identity, data=)

(2) The relationship might be changing over time?

lme(Bird.density~Invertebrate biomass+sample_time,
random=~invert_biomass|Plot_identity, data=)

(3) In principle you could consider random effects of both time and
invert biomass, but that will almost certainly overwhelm your data.

  Don't forget to do the standard post-fitting checks: are your
residuals *approximately* equal-variance and (even more approximately)
Normally distributed?  Is the relationship between bird density and
invert biomass *approximately* linear?  (See ?plot.lme)