[R-sig-ME] Attention Ben Bolker: Issues with glmer.nb() in R

Mollie Brooks mbrooks at ufl.edu
Tue Sep 27 22:35:53 CEST 2016

Hi Dominique,

It looks like you specified the offset in model1 in the wrong way and that is causing the error.
Try
model1 <- glmer.nb(FishCounts ~ DaysSinceRelease * SizeRanking *
SeededDensity + (1|Site)+(1|SampleRound) +
offset(InitialNumberPerQuadrat),data = x))

Because of the log-link, you probably actually want
offset(log(InitialNumberPerQuadrat))

Your csv file was removed by the mail server. So I haven’t looked at your data.

You can’t use AIC to choose the best distribution until you’ve fitted models with the various distributions. Use AIC on the fitted models.

Mollie