[R-sig-ME] A sledgehammer to crack a nut?

Quentin Schorpp quentin.schorpp at thuenen.de
Wed Sep 14 14:21:26 CEST 2016

Hello,
thank you very much for your answers,

@ Thierry,

In the Model
glmer(response ~ E1 * E2 + E3 + (1|R1), data, family = poisson)

can I say "I analyze E3 as a main effect"?.

Let's assume the following effect: For habitat "wood" the numbers of pupae
were significantly decreased when exposed to blue tits, but when i look at
the data i see, that the effect was very strong in the first year, but not
visible at all in the second year. Could i be deceived by the analysis
above, in the way that it says: There was a strong difference between
exposed/not exposed for wood and overall the numbers of pupae where
similar in both years?
Or is it simply not necessary that the analysis tells me about that, the
assumed "strong" effect would be predicted as "moderate" and it is up to
me to lay it on the line and present figures to tell the audience that
there is a also 50/50 chance to have an effect at all?

Wuuld that be the right way to perform a Likelihood ratio test for the
above analysis?

glmm1 <- glmer(response ~ E1 * E2 + E3 + (1|R1), data, family = poisson)
glmm2 <- glmer(response ~ E1 + E2 + E3 + (1|R1), data, family = poisson)
glmm3 <- glmer(response ~ E1 + E2 + (1|R1), data, family = poisson)
glmm4 <- glmer(response ~ E2 + E3 + (1|R1), data, family = poisson)
glmm5 <- glmer(response ~ E1 + E3 + (1|R1), data, family = poisson)
glmm0 <- glmer(response ~ 1 + (1|R1), data, family = poisson)

anova(glmm1, glmm2, glmm3, glmm4, glmm5, glmm0) ?

I don't find a tutorial on "how to perfom a likelihood ratio test by hand"
and the afex package does not work on my computer.

@John
That was very interesting, repeated measures ANOVA with only two rep.
measurements "devolves" into a non-repeated measures analysis.
And combining the values of both measurements followed by non-repmes ANOVA
could solve the problem.
The first part of your answer focuses experiments with only two repeated
measures, when these measures where taken within the same experimental
unit, right?. Then you explain methods how to reduce both measurements to
get a single value as outcome variable. Would taking the average of both
repeated measurements be an option, too?
I did not understand the difference between
b) change = group + pre
and
d) post = group + pre

since when group is defined as a) change (post-pre) = group, then group +
pre = post - pre + pre = post  (= change in b) )

Next, addition of 0,1,2 to the measurement value in value = group + time,
wouldn't that mean to add two values of different units, i.e. counts and
hours? Or is 0,1,2 without a unit?

Thank you very much

Kind regards,
Quentin