[R-sig-ME] Does the “non-independent" data structure defined in mixed models follow the “independency” defined by probability theory?

Chen, Chun chun.chen at wur.nl
Tue Sep 6 09:41:56 CEST 2016

Thank you Ben for the answer. Now I am wondering:

1) If I happened to have a grouping variable that is not by design, for instance my randomly selected observations turned out to show some site related characteristics, is it sound to apply a mixed model including site as random intercept? In practice, it is pretty common to use site as a fixed effect in the regression analysis (i.e. to detect the main effect after adjusting site effect), even site is not a factor in the experimental/observational design.

2) If site can be used as a random intercept, what is the exact criteria for non-independence (i.e. nested structure ) in the context of applying a mixed model? Not the same as what you defined below?

3) In case site can not be used as random intercept, but can be used as a fixed factor: I assume that if a categorical variable can be modeled as a fixed effect, it can also be modeled as random effect (both are trying to estimate an  effect, but using different ways). Additionally, there is no limitation about on what condition we can  use a variable as fixed factor during regression (you can apply any variable as an fixed effect if you hypothesie the effect, no non-independence requirements). Why do we need non-independence condition for the random factors?

Thanks

Regards,
Chun