[R-sig-ME] a question of conducting contrast in lme4 (not pairwise contrast)

Gu Hao longy213 at 163.com
Fri Sep 2 20:18:15 CEST 2016

Hello,

I am trying to do some contrasts using a mixed model, but don’t know how to use it in lme4. I've done the multiple contrast, but I believe the power of this method is lower than ideal. I think contrast in lme4 would be a better option. I searched the question on stackoverflow and found one post. However, the question asked wasn't our situation.

In our case, there are five treatments. Let’s call them AA, BB, CC, DD, and EE.

I have the following hypotheses:

the response to AA will be higher than the average of BB, CC and DD.
the response to AA will be higher than EE
the average response to BB, CC and DD will be higher than EE.

The model is being run in lme4 as a mixed model:

response (binomial, 0 or 1) ~ treatment (the 5 levels above) + (1|tape) + (1|round) + (1|location).
Do anybody know how to code this?
Please kindly find the data in the attachment.

With thanks and best wishes,

Hao

--

谷昊(GU HAO),
科研助理, 广西大学林学院行为和群落生态及保护生物学研究组,广西南宁市大学路100号广西大学林学院519室。 邮编:530005.

Research Associate, Behavioral and Community Ecology, Conservation Biology, Office 519, College of Forestry, Guangxi University,No. 100 Daxue Road, Nanning, Guangxi 530005, People’s Republic of China

E-mail: longy213 at 163.com or guhao at xtbg.org.cn ; Cell phone: (+86) 18288055414; Lab Web: www.animal-ecology-guangxi.com; My Page:https://cn.linkedin.com/pub/hao-gu/80/95/9a3