[R-sig-ME] Making lme4 faster for specific case of sparse x

Ben Bolker bbolker at gmail.com
Wed Aug 10 01:28:16 CEST 2016

 A few more thoughts:

  I'm not quite sure why a sparse representation of X is only worthwhile
when p is very large.  I haven't done the arithmetic on the storage
required in the sparse representation (column pointers, locations,
values) ... so I decided to do an experiment

> z <- data.frame(f=factor(sample(8,size=10000,replace=TRUE)))
> m <- model.matrix(~f,data=z)
> m2 <- Matrix::sparse.model.matrix(~f,data=z)
> print(object.size(m),units="Mb")
1.1 Mb
> print(object.size(m2),units="Mb")
0.8 Mb

  This is only about a 35% improvement, but (while not an order of
magnitude) that might not be trivial ...

  Depending on what stays fixed between gradient descent steps, you
might be able to save time by updating individual components of the
stuff returned by lFormula() (see ?modular), and especially mkReTrms().

  You can probably save time by switching to the BOBYQA implementation
in nloptr.

  If you *do* have a large variance-covariance matrix, you might be able
to specialize to a diagonal, compound-symmetry, or factor-analytic
variance-covariance matrix (see Steve Walker's lme4ord package on github)