[R-sig-ME] lme for data that is not normally distributed

moses selebatso selebatsom at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Aug 3 15:25:35 CEST 2016

Thank very much for your helpful advice. I ran the model and tested the residuals. They are not normally distributed, and I am still stuck with how I proceed. I tried to copy the output on the email, but I get an error message that the message format cannot sent.
Regards,
Moses

    On Wednesday, 3 August 2016, 12:15, Highland Statistics Ltd <highstat at highstat.com> wrote:

> Date: Wed, 3 Aug 2016 09:40:20 +0000 (UTC)
> From: moses selebatso <selebatsom at yahoo.co.uk>
> To: R-sig-mixed-models <r-sig-mixed-models at r-project.org>
> Subject: [R-sig-ME] lme for data that is not normally distributed
>
> ?Hello
> I have some data that I would to analyse with mixed models (lme). As a standard procedure I tested for the normality of the data and it is not normal. Any ideas of how deals with this kind of data? I have a sample below and the model that I was hoping to use (if?the data?was normal)
> m <- lme(Distance~Time,random=~1|ID,data=data).

Checking normality of the response variable before doing the analysis is
a misconception. Why should it be normally distributed? Fit your model
and check your residuals for normality.

Alain

> | ID |
>

> | Time |
>

> | Distance |
>

> | 10187A |
>

> | Pre_dry |
>

> | 4.31287 |
>

> | 10187A |
>

> | Pre_dry |
>

> | 6.867578 |
>

> | 10187A |
>

> | Pre_dry |
>

> | 4.640427 |
>

> | 10187A |
>

> | Post_dry |
>

> | 4.497807 |
>

> | 10187A |
>

> | Post_dry |
>

> | 9.726069 |
>

> | 10187A |
>

> | Post_dry |
>

> | 5.150089 |
>

> Regards,
> Moses SELEBATSO?
>     [[alternative HTML version deleted]]

> ------------------------------
>
> End of R-sig-mixed-models Digest, Vol 116, Issue 4

Dr. Alain F. Zuur

First author of:
1. Beginner's Guide to GAMM with R (2014).
2. Beginner's Guide to GLM and GLMM with R (2013).
3. Beginner's Guide to GAM with R (2012).
4. Zero Inflated Models and GLMM with R (2012).
5. A Beginner's Guide to R (2009).
6. Mixed effects models and extensions in ecology with R (2009).
7. Analysing Ecological Data (2007).

Highland Statistics Ltd.
9 St Clair Wynd
UK - AB41 6DZ Newburgh