[R-sig-ME] When can the intercept be removed from regression models

Thierry Onkelinx thierry.onkelinx at inbo.be
Tue Jul 26 10:32:03 CEST 2016

Dear Shadiya,

Thou shall always keep the intercept in the model. Its p-value doesn't
matter.

I use two exceptions against that rule:
1. There is a physical/biological/... reason why the intercept should be 0
2. Removing the intercept gives a different, more convenient
parametrisation (but not does not changes the model fit!)

Note that in logistic regression you use a logit transformation. Hence
forcing the model thru the origin on the logit scale, forces the model to
50% probability at the original scale. I haven't seen an example where that
makes sense.

Bottom line: only remove the intercept when you really know what you are
doing.

Best regards,

ir. Thierry Onkelinx
Forest