[R-sig-ME] lme: several slopes, same variance, no correlation

Thierry Onkelinx thierry.onkelinx at inbo.be
Fri Jul 15 11:44:25 CEST 2016

Dear Ben,

Crossed random effects are doable but not easy in nlme. It is described
somewhere in Pinheiro and Bates (2000).

However, correlation structures in nlme work only on the residuals within
the same level of the random effects. In case of nested random effects the
most detailed level is used. The residuals of observations from different
random effect levels are assumed to be independent! I'm not sure how it
works with crossed random effects but it won't surprise me if it would use
the levels of id1:id2:id3:id4. That is something you may, or may not, want.

I'd suggest that you think on how the correlation structure should work
before you try the crossed random effects in nlme. If the correlation
structure doesn't make sense, then you don't have to bother the switch from
lme4 to nlme.

Another option would be to switch to INLA (www.rinla.org) which allows for
correlated random effects.

Best regards,