[R-sig-ME] Back-transformation of Poisson model

Ben Bolker bbolker at gmail.com
Tue Mar 15 22:38:11 CET 2016

   Please do submit an issue.

   Thinking about marginalizing predictions opens up a lot of questions:

   - marginalize by taking the mean of random samples?
   - by doing numerical integration?
   - by using the delta method?  (one might be able to use higher-order
terms to reduce error ...)

On 16-03-15 02:27 PM, Mollie Brooks wrote:
> [...]
>
>> On 14Mar 2016, at 21:04, Jarrod Hadfield <j.hadfield at ed.ac.uk>
>> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Mollie,
>>
>> In simple models it is the sum of the variance components, although
>> with things such as random regression it gets a bit more
>> complicated.  For log-link Poisson models the mean is simply the
>> mean of a log-normal. For logit models there is not an anlytical
>> solution, and the approximation in the CourseNotes I certainly got
>> from somewhere but can't now remember where from: somebody else has
>> pointed out that my McCulloch & Searle citation does not have the
>> relevant material so I will try and hunt down where the result
>> comes from.
>>
>> I think the deviation of your predicted and actual mean arises
>> because of sampling error in the intercept/variance. The mean of an
>> exponentiated sum of two normals will be larger than the
>> exponentiated sum of the means of two normals. Consequently an
>> unbiased estimator of the intercept and variance would lead to an
>> upwardly biased estimator of the data-scale mean. Not sure about
>> this though! Perhaps see if the predicted and actual mean become
>> closer if you up the number of random effect levels (and so the
>> intercept/variance become more precisely estimated).
>>
>> Regarding Q2 I'm also not sure. In predict.MCMCglmm you can
>> specifiy the random effects you want to marginalise over, but I
>> *think* this is not implemented in lme4?
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Jarrod
>>

>> On 14/03/2016 16:34, Mollie Brooks wrote:
>>> Hi R-sig-mixed, I found the below discussion of
>>> back-transformations from the log scale and the same formula is
>>> on page 46 of the MCMCglmm course notes pdf (version June 20,
>>> 2015). I can’t find a copy of the cited book McCulloch CE, Searle
>>> SR (2001) or any other source for this information. I have one
>>> point that I’m still wondering about…should v, the sum of the
>>> variance components, include residual error in any model, i.e.
>>> not just residual error that is part of an observation-level
>>> random effect for over-dispersed models? In the following
>>> example, the formula, exp(Xb+0.5*v) seems to be giving me an
>>> estimate that is consistently higher than my population mean. So
>>> adding the residual variance will make it even worse. Is this
>>> normal? Now for the R-specific part of the question... is there a
>>> version of predict.merMod that gives the the predictions on the
>>> response scale averaged over possible realizations of the random
>>> effects, i.e. marginalized with respect to the random effects? I
>>> can’t get any predictions close to the observed mean in the
>>> following example. I expected that a new level of the random
>>> effect would be given a marginalized prediction. Maybe this could
>>> be added to the documentation. thanks, Mollie
>>>
>>> library(lme4)
>>>
>>> # simulate Poisson data with random intercept set.seed(11)
>>> dat=data.frame(group=paste0('g', rep(1:10, each=100)))
>>> x=rnorm(10, mean=5,sd=2) dat$y = rpois(nrow(dat),
>>> exp(x[dat$group])) mean(dat$y)#observed mean
>>>
>>> # fit model m1=glmer(y ~ (1 | group), family = poisson, dat)
>>>
>>> #estract estimates str(predict(m1,  type="response",
>>> re.form=NA)) exp(fixef(m1)+ 0.5*VarCorr(m1)$group[1])#from
>>> MCMCglmm Coursenotes p.46 #not very close to the mean
>>>
>>> nd=data.frame(group=paste0('g', -5:-1)) #add new levels
>>> str(predict(m1, newdata=nd, type="response", re.form=NULL,
>>> allow.new.levels=TRUE)) str(predict(m1, newdata=nd,
>>> type="response", re.form=NA, allow.new.levels=TRUE))
>>> str(predict(m1, newdata=nd, type="response", re.form=NA))
>>> str(predict(m1, type="response", re.form=NA))
>>> mean(exp(coef(m1)[[1]][,1]))#only number close to the observed