[R-sig-ME] Non-significant fixed effect allows approximation of variance-covariance matrix

Ben Bolker bbolker at gmail.com
Sun Mar 13 18:08:49 CET 2016

   Hard to say in general without looking at the data in detail.
Perhaps the Geomorphic information helps explain some of the variation
in the response that is not otherwise well explained (e.g., leaving out
the Geomorphic information makes the site-level BLUPs/conditional modes
less well approximated by a normal distribution).  This is not
necessarily inconsistent with a non-significant effect overall ...

   I would (1) plot your data to see if there are any outliers or
patterns that might not be getting picked up by the model; (2) consider
glmmLasso, if you really want to use the model for prediction; (3) try
the model in lme4, which is a tiny bit more stable.

   heterogeneous variance models are not built in to lme4; you can make
it happen for *each* site by adding an observation-level random effect
that only applies at one level of a site, by adding an observation-level
factor

   my_data$obs <- factor(seq(nrow(my_data))

and then adding

  +(0+dummy(site,"site2")|obs)

   ... but this is tedious when there are many sites.

   Can you address heteroscedasticity by transformation instead ...?

   How many sites and how many total observations in your data set ... ?