[R-sig-ME] Replicating type III anova tests for glmer/GLMM

Fox, John jfox at mcmaster.ca
Sun Feb 28 16:34:06 CET 2016

Dear Emmanuel,

Again, I'll respond briefly, and not in the detail that your questions really require:

The subspace spanned by the regressors in a model like y ~ A*B or y ~ A + B is independent of the coding of the regressors.

> As I understood the model, if we have a 2×2 design (A×B) for instance, the
> subspace spanned by all predictors is a 4-dimensionnal space. In this space,
> each dimension can be assigned to A, B, their interaction and a constant. That
> means, each predictor is associated with a different basis vector of this 4-
> dimensionnal space. But there is several ways of defining the basis, defining
> different sub-spaces associated with A, B and A×B, and this corresponds to
> the different codings. For instance, I can say (with 4 points)
>
> µ A   B A×B       or  µ  A  B  A×B
> 1 -1 -1  +1           1  0  0  0
> 1 -1 +1  -1           0  0  1  0
> 1 +1 -1  -1	      0  1  0  0
> 1 +1 +1  +1	      0  1  1  1

In both cases, models like y ~ A*B and y ~ A + B produce the same y-hat vectors and hence same SSs. The situation is a bit more complicated for models that violate marginality, but that situation can be handled by more general approaches, like estimable functions or close attention to the hypotheses tested. All tests can be formulated linear hypothesis in the parameters of the full, full-rank model, but different parametrizations make the tests simpler or more difficult.

You've shown the row-basis for the model matrix in the cases of effect ("contr.sum") coding and dummy ("contr.treatment") coding. Call the basis matrix X_B. Then, because these are full-rank parametrizations, as long as no cells are empty, you can solve for the cell means in terms of the model parameters. Call the parameter vector corresponding to the basis beta_B and the ravelled vector of cell means mu. Then mu = X_B beta_B and (because X_B is nonsingular), beta_B = X_B^-1 mu. This allows you to see the composition of each parameter in terms of cell means and thus the hypothesis tested by the (type-III) test that the parameter is 0. In the case of effect coding, the columns of X_B are orthogonal and so its inverse is particularly simple, with each row equal to a column of X_B up to a constant factor.

> and the sub-spaces associated with µ, A, B, and A×B are different in these
> two codings (but in whole, the 4-dimensionnal space is the same).  I may miss
> something trivial, but I would say that the coding instead defines the
> subspace spanned by the regressor, and not that they are independant.
>
> Am I too stuck with coding? But then, how is defined the subspace
> associated to a regressor « absolutly »?

It's not, but because the model matrix spans the same subspace, it's possible to test the same hypotheses in full-rank formulations of the same model. One way to see that is to work backwards from beta_B = X_B^-1 mu (that is, define X_B^-1 as the contrasts that you want to test) to mu = X_B beta_B. As mentioned, this is particularly simple when the *rows* of X_B^-1 are orthogonal contrasts.

John