[R-sig-ME] For what can I use a correlation of fixed effects from (g)lmer?

Malcolm Fairbrother M.Fairbrother at bristol.ac.uk
Wed Feb 24 22:04:48 CET 2016

Dear Steve,
There's a lot in your question. A couple thoughts:
(1) I'm not clear whether you *country-mean-centered* your individual-level
covariates. If not, the country means of those variables could (i.e.,
almost certainly will) correlate to some degree with your country-level
variables. This will almost certainly just confuse matters, such that it
would be best to do the mean-centering. (If you want to include, say,
national mean education as a covariate, in addition to de-meaned individual
level education, you can do so... But that will probably correlate a lot
with, say, GDP/capita.) From what you say, mean-centering will get you what
you want, and it actually might also help you deal with the unhelpful
reviewer comments you're getting. (I totally agree with your reactions to
those. Given what appears to the paucity of logic behind their comments,
surreptitiously not doing what they're saying but appearing to do what
they're saying seems a reasonable strategy. Implicitly including country
means increasing your degrees of freedom at the country level, causing a
reduction in efficiency, as you suggest... Though it's an issue of
collinearity, not just missingness.)
So I think you're wrong that "individual-level variables don't meaningfully
influence the parameter estimates for country-level variables beyond
inefficiency introduced by missing data." But I think you can nonetheless
ignore them--because only the country mean components are having the
impacts you describe, and you seem to have substantive reasons to remove
those components.
(2) Like you, I've never found the "correlation of fixed effects" output
very useful. I generally just suppress/ignore it.
Hope that helps.
- Malcolm

Dr Malcolm Fairbrother
Senior Lecturer in Global Policy and Politics
School of Geographical Sciences
University of Bristol