[R-sig-ME] Replicating type III anova tests for glmer/GLMM

Fox, John jfox at mcmaster.ca
Tue Feb 23 17:15:02 CET 2016

Dear Emmanuel,

With proper contrast coding (i.e., a coding that's orthogonal in the *basis* of the design, such as provided by contr.sum() ), a "type-III" test is just a test that the corresponding parameters are 0. The models in question are generalized linear (mixed) models and so sums of squares aren't really involved, but one could do the corresponding Wald (like car::Anova) or LR test. The Wald test is what you'd get with multcomp:glht or car:linearHypothesis. BTW, I don't think that it would be hard for car::Anova to be extended to provide LR tests in this case.

Best,
 John