[R-sig-ME] Replicating type III anova tests for glmer/GLMM

Phillip Alday Phillip.Alday at unisa.edu.au
Tue Feb 23 13:54:05 CET 2016

In my experience, car::Anova is slightly less conservative (as Wald
tests are known to be somewhat anti-conservative).

Are you using Type-III tests for everything? The differences between
Type-II and Type-III can actually make a big difference in terms of
which predictors are significant.

Speaking of Type-III -- although it's the default in some popular
commercial packages, Type-II (marginal tests) is actually the type that
makes the most sense in terms of statistical interpretation and
hypotheses tested. But that's a topic for another time ....

Best,
Phillip