[R-sig-ME] Replicating type III anova tests for glmer/GLMM

Francesco Romano francescobryanromano at gmail.com
Tue Feb 23 10:33:10 CET 2016

Yes. An ANOVA with my final bglmer model yields:

> anova(recallmodel4x6a)

Analysis of Variance Table

                   Df Sum Sq Mean Sq F value
syntax12            1 1.7670  1.7670  1.7670
animacy12           1 3.4036  3.4036  3.4036
group123            2 5.7213  2.8607  2.8607
animacy12:group123  2 4.5546  2.2773  2.2773
syntax12:group123   2 8.1732  4.0866  4.0866

which is counterintuitively not what the authors of the papers
apparently used to generate coefficients to report their main effects
and interactions. It looks to me more like ML fitting. Elsewhere,
and more typically, main effects and interactions are obtained by comparing

model with the main fixed effect to a model without the

main fixed effect in terms of log-likelihood ratio tests

(Raffray et al., 2013, http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jml.2013.09.004, p.6).

I understand obtaining p-values from a summary
of linear mixed models fit by lmer is a contentious issue

https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-help/2006-May/094765.html

but I guess I might be missing something here.