[R-sig-ME] Low rank fixed effect design matrix LMER package

Ben Bolker bbolker at gmail.com
Thu Feb 11 17:07:26 CET 2016

  The place to start looking is line 222 of
https://github.com/lme4/lme4/blob/master/R/modular.R . We call the
Matrix::rankMatrix() and stats::qr() functions with a default tolerance
of 1e-7.  The comment in the code at that point specifies

## Perform the qr-decomposition of X using LINPACK method,
## as we need the "good" pivots (and the same as lm()):
## FIXME: strongly prefer rankMatrix(X, method= "qr.R")

   Hope that helps.

   Ben Bolker