[R-sig-ME] lmer vs. nlme

Ashley Cohen ashleyhcohen at gmail.com
Tue Jan 19 21:37:48 CET 2016

Thank you very much for your response, Ben.

I had more luck using lme to play around with the correlation structure, as
you mentioned, and was able to compare compound symmetry, AR(1) and
unstructured.

I think because I am trying to specify it (I don't know that I want to use
unstructured as we are lacking data) it is best not to 'muck around' with
the correlation matrix in lme4, as you mentioned. However, there doesn't
even seem to be much within-subject correlation anyways.

Ideally, I think an AR(1) correlation matrix works best for this data.