[R-sig-ME] Warning message

Ben Bolker bbolker at gmail.com
Fri Dec 11 02:57:04 CET 2015

As previously suggested/discussed elsewhere, especially under the
?convergence manual page, this is probably a false positive. The gold
standard is to choose a different optimizer to fit your model with and
convince yourself that the results are sufficiently close across
optimizers that the warning is indeed a false positive.  (The chances
of two separate optimizers misconverging to the same point are small
... they might or might not reach different local optima, but that's
not the kind of convergence failure that the tests are able to detect
...)

  Have you been warned about the dangers of stepwise model selection
<http://www.stata.com/support/faqs/statistics/stepwise-regression-problems/>
?