[R-sig-ME] logistic regression with glmer, three ways

David Duffy David.Duffy at qimrberghofer.edu.au
Fri Nov 27 00:11:44 CET 2015

On Fri, 27 Nov 2015, Malcolm Fairbrother wrote:

> Dear all,
> I am trying to fit a logistic mixed model using lme4, and finding some
> results I can't understand.

FWIW, similar problems with just (1|wi). glmmML allows one RE, so it
can be run in a comparison:

A. cbind(X1, X0) ~ xD + xM + (1 | wi)

      glmer (laplace)  glmmML (laplace)
Int  1.2478 (0.4187)  1.2478 (0.4187)
xD  -0.3722 (0.3619) -0.3722 (0.3619)
xW  -0.2720 (0.1306) -0.2720 (0.1306)

C. y ~ xD + xM + (1 | wi)

      glmer (laplace)    glmmM (laplace)
Int  1.2478 (0.2240)  1.2714 (0.4175)
xD  -0.3722 (0.2842) -0.3894 (0.3608)
xW  -0.2720 (0.0732) -0.2794 (0.1302)

Most importantly, if you use AGQ instead of Laplace
the glmer SEs now all match.

glmer (nAGQ=10)

            Estimate Std. Error
(Intercept)   1.2478     0.4196