[R-sig-ME] Problems with model (assumptions)

Ben Bolker bbolker at gmail.com
Tue Nov 24 19:42:39 CET 2015

On Mon, Nov 23, 2015 at 10:21 AM, Philipp Singer <killver at gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks for both of your answers.
>
> I will proceed with the log transformed version then as this definitly
> provides the best fit.
>
> One more question though regarding the point made by Thierry regarding the
> residuals:
> I thought that when looking at scaled residuals (pearson or deviance) they
> should be distributed normally (at least asymptotically). Is this wrong?

   Yes, asymptotically, but the relevant limit is "large samples per
point" rather than "large numbers of points" -- that is, Poisson or
negative binomial or binomial samples must have a large mean count [or
intermediate in the case of binomial, i.e. not to close to 100%], in
which case the conditional distribution converges to normality, but
with different variances depending on the mean, which gets corrected
by Pearson/deviance residual computation.    In the low-count case
(which is where most GLModeling gets done) the assumption may not
hold.  It's particularly terrible for Bernoulli responses.

   In looking at your model again, I wonder: why are you treating
length as a random effect?  I would think that lengths would be
generally better modeled as continuous covariates, e.g. via an
additive model/spline term in the linear model.