[R-sig-ME] Problems with model (assumptions)

Thierry Onkelinx thierry.onkelinx at inbo.be
Mon Nov 23 09:17:28 CET 2015

Dear Philipp,

I'm missing the graphs for the data exploration step in the notebook. So
you can get an idea if the relations of with the explanatory variables are
(log)linear.

The residual plot from the Gaussian model are typical when modelling count
data. So you need a Poisson or negative binomial distribution.

normal qqplots for glm models are irrelevant. residuals versus fit are
difficult to interpret. You should focus on residuals versus explanatory
variables (fixed and random).

You could consider using length as an offset factor. That seems to make
more sense than as a random effect. Since length is the maximum body length
per author, you would model the relative body length per author.

There are other R packages that can fit glmm. glmmADMB, INLA, ... You can
try them and see what happens.

Best regards,

ir. Thierry Onkelinx
Forest