[R-sig-ME] Question on random effects glm interpretation

Emmanuel Curis emmanuel.curis at parisdescartes.fr
Fri Nov 13 17:32:56 CET 2015

Thanks for these answers.

After thinking a little bit, I still have a concern with the survival
approach.  What is in interest in the data is not really the time
before patients are infected (at least, as far as I understood the
practicionners problem), but the proportion of patients that are
infected at a given moment (and, at the end, does this proportion
change with some covariates, including period in the year). I'm not
clear how the survival model can give this information (but I'm not
familiar with survival analysis), but I thought it was more oriented
toward modeling time-to-event?

Also, going back to the original question, for my own understanding of
these models: is it correct to say that for a binomial GLMM to apply,
with patient as the (only) random effect, then for a given patient the
different Bernoulli variables must be independant, identically
distributed as in a usual logistic regression? Or is this hierarchical
approach too simplist?

Thanks anyway for these quick answers,