[R-sig-ME] Interaction variance from mcmcglmm

paul debes paul.debes at utu.fi
Tue Nov 3 18:29:19 CET 2015

Dear Rob,

Unfortunately, I cannot help with the MCMCglmm prior specifications and
hope someone else will do this, but maybe with the model.

I think that fitting two separate models might lead to different results
than one common model when you have a significant but ignored covariance
between effects across populations when estimating only the within
population variance.

As the Y effects are nested within Y.Source effects (they are, right?),
one initial full model to estimate within and across population variance,
and including the interaction with the genetic background effects, could
be:

fixed = Score ~ 1 + Block,
random = ~ BG + Y.Source/Y + BG:Y.Source/Y + Vial,

expanded:
random = ~ BG + Y.Source + Y.Source:Y + BG:Y.Source + BG:Y.Source:Y + Vial,

Best,
Paul