[R-sig-ME] glmer: how are “non-integer #successes in a binomial glm!” actually modeled?

Ben Bolker bbolker at gmail.com
Tue Nov 3 00:37:51 CET 2015

   In this case I think you should be fine, if it's really reasonable
to imagine that a trial is "partly successful".  lme4 is following
standard GLM practice in handling binomial models -- the variance of
the response is assumed to be p*(1-p)/W .  The warning is there
because *most* people who input non-integer values are making a
mistake (i.e., treating proportional data without a denominator as
binomial).

 We have seen a few cases where non-integer responses give weird
answers in lme4 (e.g. https://github.com/lme4/lme4/issues/180 ), but
as long as your answers seem reasonable I think you should feel
confident.