[R-sig-ME] Linear mixed model - heterogeneity

Ben Bolker bbolker at gmail.com
Mon Nov 2 23:11:59 CET 2015

  If you have 5 reps per patient, unless those reps vary in some
interesting way or they have structure you need to know about (e.g.
you're trying to estimate slope of improvement over time, or
patient/rep instances having differing values of covariates you need
to adjust for), it would definitely help to just aggregate (i.e., take
the mean over reps: see Murtauch "Simplicity and complexity in
ecological data analysis") ...