[R-sig-ME] Model with no random intercept?

Salmon, Maëlle msalmon at creal.cat
Thu Oct 29 14:41:37 CET 2015

Dear help-list,

Is it possible to have a random effect without random intercept?

My model is
formula <- "cslt_sspref ~ 1 + epiPeriod + (epiPeriod|ss_pref)"
modelTest1 <- glmer(formula, dataCarambars, family=poisson())

But what I would like is something like
formula <- "cslt_sspref ~ 1 + epiPeriod + ((0+epiPeriod)|ss_pref)"
modelTest1 <- glmer(formula, dataCarambars, family=poisson())

i.e. only epiPeriod with a random effect of ss_pref. I have tried different syntaxes with 0, -1, etc. but I could not find the right syntax.

How can I avoid this issue and eliminate the random intercept? Maybe I cannot?

Thanks a lot in advance, best wishes

Maëlle Salmon.