[R-sig-ME] How to know if random intercepts and slopes are necessary for glmer.nb model

Ben Bolker bbolker at gmail.com
Mon Oct 19 16:04:52 CEST 2015

Some relatively stream-of-consciousness thoughts:

* what kind of errors?  glmer.nb is still not as robust as we (or
you!) would like, e.g. see <https://github.com/lme4/lme4/issues/319>
... information on the kinds of warnings & errors you're getting would
be useful.
* in general I would say that you should *try* to keep the random
effects in if you can -- it is a bit of a catch-22 if you can't fit
the models though ...
* do you get similar results for simulated data with similar structure?
* you could try alternative fitting platforms _or_ alternative models
to account for dispersion, specifically
    * glmmADMB (could be slow for large data sets?)
    * glmmTMB (experimental! <https://github.com/glmmTMB/glmmTMB> )
    (any other suggestions welcome ...)
    * using an observation-level random effect rather than NB to
account for dispersion (in my experience these tend to give similar
results: Harrison 2015 <https://peerj.com/articles/1114/> does a
simulation study for the analogous case of overdispersed binomial
models and concludes "use with caution ...")