[R-sig-ME] Model is nearly unidentifiable with lmer

Chunyun Ma mcypsy at gmail.com
Sun Oct 18 19:06:27 CEST 2015

Hi again dear Ben and Alex!

I scaled the continuous predictor (Xc) using scale(Xc, centre=T, scale=T)
and the warning did disappear! Also, the log likelihood remains the same.
As Ben suggested, this indicates the large eigenvalue was not actually a
problem in the first place, although I still feel hazy about why the
warning appeared previously (I need to refresh my memory of what
eigenvalues are).

I also converted the subject using factor(). I would love to better
understand when it is necessary to factor a variable. I did find a post
from stackoverflow
<http://stackoverflow.com/questions/21226069/when-are-factors-necessary-appropriate-in-r>
on a similar topic, but it did not mention the random factor in a lmer
formula.

Alex, I tried both dummy coding and sum coding as you suggested. I got the
same warning message with either coding scheme. I still need to carefully
read your full paper to understand what “maximal random-effect structure”
is.

To recap, my remaining questions are:

   - Can I ignore the eigenvalue warning and proceed with the raw variable
   (because the rescaling makes it hard to interpret) since the log likelihood
   does not change?
   - In using lmer for RM design, if the random factor is
   subject/participant, should I always makes sure subject has been converted
   to factor using factor()? Any further reference would be appreciated.

Many thanks!

Warmly, Chunyun

Hi dear Ben and Alex!