[R-sig-ME] Model is nearly unidentifiable with lmer

Ben Bolker bbolker at gmail.com
Mon Oct 12 02:18:38 CEST 2015

Short answer: try rescaling all of your continuous variables.  It
can't hurt/will change only the interpretation.  If you get the same
log-likelihood with the rescaled variables, that indicates that the
large eigenvalue was not actually a problem in the first place.

   I don't think the standard citation from the R citation file
<https://cran.r-project.org/web/packages/lme4/citation.html>, or the
book chapter I wrote recently (chapter 13 of Fox et al, Oxford
University Press 2015 -- online supplements at
<http://ms.mcmaster.ca/~bolker/R%/misc/foxchapter/bolker_chap.html>)
cover rescaling in much detail. Schielzeth 2010
doi:10.1111/j.2041-210X.2010.00012.x gives a coherent argument about
the interpretive advantages of scaling.

   Ben Bolker