[R-sig-ME] lmer model construction

Jake Westfall jake987722 at hotmail.com
Wed Oct 7 16:08:06 CEST 2015

I guess the first step is to try to decide on some reasonably precise definition of what it means for a variable to be "important." I think this is a fundamental problem plaguing most discussions of "variable importance." Are you just talking about getting an indication of the strength of association between a predictor and the response variable--like an effect size? In that case I would recommend just looking at and interpreting the slope and its standard error and using your scientific judgment. Standardized effect size is kind of a fraught issue in linear mixed models.

Jake