[R-sig-ME] lmer model construction

Jeremy Chacon chaco001 at umn.edu
Wed Oct 7 15:55:18 CEST 2015

Dear Thierry,

Thanks for your help. You are correct, my LRT was incorrectly dropping more
than one term--I've fixed that now.  And good to hear I setup the nested
part of the model correctly.

My more general question is how do I know whether terms such as main
effects are important? I understand there is disagreement about whether to
assign p-values to terms in a mixed model due to the degrees of freedom not
being fully known, but I would still like some measure of how important a
term is.

Is a good way to keep doing likelihood-ratio tests all the way down to a
single-intercept model? Or is there another, perhaps better way to
interpret importance in the results of a mixed model?

Thanks again,

Jeremy