[R-sig-ME] modeling the effect of grass height on insect biomass

Joaquín Aldabe joaquin.aldabe at gmail.com
Mon Oct 5 13:22:00 CEST 2015

Dear all, I want to see the effect of grass height on insect biomass in a
farm close to a coastal lagoon in Uruguay. For that I chose 5 pairs of
fields. Each pair consist on a field with tall grass and the other with
short grass. Each pair of fields are close to each other, in order to
reduce the effect of soil type and other confounding variables. In each
field I installed 6 pitfall traps, separated 100 m each. I collected
insects for 30 days.

Is the following modeling approach correct?: I called Site to each field
pair (as they are geographically separated)

model=lme(insect biomass~grass height + (1|Site\Field), data)

Alternatively I thought of doing paired t-test..

Thankyou very much for your help.

Joaquín.

--
*Joaquín Aldabe*

*Grupo Biodiversidad, Ambiente y Sociedad*
Centro Universitario de la Región Este, Universidad de la República
Ruta 15 (y Ruta 9), Km 28.500, Departamento de Rocha

*Departamento de Conservación*
Aves Uruguay
BirdLife International
Canelones 1164, Montevideo