[R-sig-ME] non-linear slope in random regression model

Wilson, Alastair A.Wilson at exeter.ac.uk
Thu Sep 10 11:51:37 CEST 2015

Hi David,

Replying off list as last message has been held for moderation  (I suspect uni has changed e-mail aliases or something) and this is not really an e-mail about R anyway!0. Fitting month as a factor makes a lot of sense to me for reasons Thierry gave. To reiterate though your random effect model is something you need to decide. Simplistically, imagine you fixed effects has “taken out” all monthly variation in the mean. The question now is, do you want to model individual reaction norms as constant, a straight line, or something curvy (in which case polynomials are not a bad place to start).

Dingemanse et al have suggested using higher order polynomials to look at behavioural reaction norms – something that has long been done in quant gen for longitudinal data (e.g. growth, milk yields with age etc). In evo ecol there is a long tradition of stickling with straight line reaction norms, but I think this is largely for semantic convenience, not necessarily because they fit people’s data brilliantly. If you centre the X axis then you can interpret the elevation of an individuals reaction norm as its phenotype in an average environment, while the slope can be used as its “plasticity”. If you add a quadratic term people don’t know what to call it! Of course what it really means is that the “plasticity” slope of the reaction norm, itself changes according to where you are on the X axis.

Not sure if that helps. Whatever you decide you should make sure you include covariance between slopes and elevations in your model (and with high order terms if you include them), to do otherwise forces very strong (and unrealistic) assumptions on the reaction norms that can distort things a lot. You should also consider whether it is appropriate to assume a homogeneous residual variance across all your months as violations of this can generate spurious support for IxE (i.e. among-individual variance in reaction norm slopes).

Best