[R-sig-ME] GLMMpql and GEE question

Thierry Onkelinx thierry.onkelinx at inbo.be
Tue Sep 1 10:24:07 CEST 2015

Dear Hanna,

GLMM doesn't make sense if you have only one level. It requires
theoretically at least two, in practice even more to get reliable
fits.

I would have a look at the INLA package (www.r-inla.org). It allows
both several non-gaussian distributions and correlated random effects.
In case of a univariate timeseries, then time itself is the random
effect.

library(INLA)
inla(Count ~ f(Time, model = "ar1"), family = "poisson") # AR1
inla(Count ~ f(Time, model = "rw1"), family = "poisson") # random walk order 1
inla(Count ~ f(Time, model = "rw2"), family = "poisson") # random walk order 2

see http://www.r-inla.org/models/latent-models

Best regards,
ir. Thierry Onkelinx
Instituut voor natuur- en bosonderzoek / Research Institute for Nature
and Forest
Kliniekstraat 25
1070 Anderlecht
Belgium

To call in the statistician after the experiment is done may be no
more than asking him to perform a post-mortem examination: he may be
able to say what the experiment died of. ~ Sir Ronald Aylmer Fisher
The combination of some data and an aching desire for an answer does
not ensure that a reasonable answer can be extracted from a given body
of data. ~ John Tukey