[R-sig-ME] Scaling the response of a linear model to different factor groups

Thierry Onkelinx thierry.onkelinx at inbo.be
Tue Jul 21 10:07:20 CEST 2015

Dear Daniel,

You answered your first question yourself: if you don't add the interaction
then effect of whisker_row is forced to be identical between the species.
The interaction seems to be required from an ecological point of view.

I would not standardise the whisker lengths. I find that is makes the model
harder to interpret. Instead, rather think about the whether the effects of
species and whisker_row is additive of multiplicative. E.g. do you want to
express the difference between the first and second rows to be x mm
(additive) or rather as the second row is x% of the first row
(multiplicative). The additive model is plain lmm. You get the
multiplicative model by log transforming the length or by using a gamma
distribution with log link.

Best regards,

ir. Thierry Onkelinx
Forest