[R-sig-ME] Missing values in lmer vs. HLM

John Maindonald john.maindonald at anu.edu.au
Mon Jul 6 02:31:01 CEST 2015

Quoting Douglas:
> . . .  In mathematical statistics you say, "assuming that
> the model is correct, these are the consequences" and that is all there is
> to it.  The way that the game is actually played is that, when you get to
> the end of the proof and discover that you need some conditions to make it
> work, you go back to the beginning and add those conditions.

So mathematical statistics is a ‘game’.  That is surely a rather damning comment!
It does however raise important points.  My perception is that the situation has
improved greatly from the “that is all there is to it” typical stance in the published
literature of the 1960s and 1970s.  There’s greater pressure to back up theoretical
development with computations with (often, somewhat) real data.

The situation is though uneven.   In some parts of the literature though (the literature
on smoothing seems to me particularly rife with this problem) serious issues with the
unreality of iid or at least id (independence) assumptions, for time series and/or
spatial data, are just ignored!  That is just one example.  [For interpolation, maybe
the iid assumption often makes reasonable sense for spatial data.]

More important than whether the estimator has likelihood in its name, or whether it
is misleading to call it some kind of likelihood estimator, is whether it serves the
intended purpose.  Use the median for sure where it makes sense, which incidentally
is neither unbiased nor ML.  I do not think that one would get away with quoting
maximum likelihood estimators (eg, for wages and wage differentials in various
sectors) in a set of national account figures.  Here, one might be tempted to make
politically fraught comments about the malign effects of highly skew distributions!
Nuf sed.

In many contexts, it is thought important to have numbers that add up.  That, after
all is what analysis of variance breakdowns of the mean are all about.  Medians do
not work well in that context; they do not give a table that adds up.  But of course,
just because one is presenting a table where effects add up to give a grand mean,
distributions that are close to symmetric are important, for conceptual as well as for
theoretical (normality of sampling distribution) reasons.  This all becomes a whole
lot more fraught for GLM models.

The main benefit of REML may be that it matches what comes out computationally
to the theory.  Does this do serious damage to the numbers that come out, relative
to the way that they will be used?  Doug, do your strictures apply also to the t-statistic,
which is a REML type statistic?  (One uses an unbiased estimate of the variance in
the denominator.)  Or is the issue that it is just a means to an end?

On moment estimators, comments made by Tukey seem to me relevant:
"Do not assume “that we always know what in fact we never know – the exact probability structure . . .
No data set is large enough to tell us how it should be analysed.”
[Tukey: More honest foundations for data analysis. Journal of Statistical Planning and Inference,
vol. 57, no. 1, pp. 21-28, 1997]

Nor, I want to add, do we commonly have all the needed background information.

Moment estimators can be a way to get an estimator that applies to a wide class of distributions.
I and many others think this more than sufficient justification for the dispersion estimate that is
widely used in quasi-likelihood computations, notable to GLM models with quasi-Poisson or
quasi-binomial distributions.  A key question is of course whether the dispersion might vary
with the mean.  And yes, this does make a whole lot more sense if one is working on a scale
where the sampling distribution(s) is(are) symmetric.  So perhaps what is wrong with standard
quasi models is that they inflate the variance on a scale where distributions are nothing like
symmetric! What is totally wrong is any failure to adjust for an inflated variance in cases (in
most areas, e.g., ecology, the great majority) where the variance clearly is inflated relative to
the Poisson or binomial.  Note that this applies also to glmer models, notably where Poisson
or binomial errors are specified.  One can specify an observation level random effect. I suspect
that results are often compromised because of failure to attend to this issue.

In summary, there are some very important issues here, but I do not see that substituting one
 mathematical simplification for another is an answer.  In the end, we want our models to be
useful, useful I would hope for more than purposes of getting promotion!

John Maindonald             email: john.maindonald at anu.edu.au