[R-sig-ME] Missing values in lmer vs. HLM

Douglas Bates bates at stat.wisc.edu
Sat Jul 4 18:09:05 CEST 2015

I think we would need to know more about the structure of the data and the
models that you wish to fit to it before we could be of any assistance.

To be honest, your question doesn't make sense in the context of lmer.  The
data for lmer must be in the "long form".  That is, each observation
corresponds to a row in the data frame.  If one subject has 5 observations
there will be 5 rows for that subject.  If another has only two
observations there will be two rows.  To me you are describing unbalanced
data, not missing data.  In most cases it is more confusing than
illuminating to think of data in the "wide form", with one row for each
subject and multiple columns for the observations, when working with R.

There is no difficulty with working with unbalanced data in lmer.