[R-sig-ME] [R] mixed model ANCOVA

Ben Bolker bbolker at gmail.com
Sun Jun 28 18:36:19 CEST 2015

On Sun, Jun 28, 2015 at 11:45 AM, Ian Danilevicz
<iandanilevicz at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hy,
> I have read a post about mixed models (the link is below) and I still in
> doubt.
>
> https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-help/2013-December/364091.html
>
> the problem was:
>
>>* * 1 subject factor (random, between subjects) called Subject
> *>* * 3 categorical within subjects factors called Emotion, Sex, Race
> *>
>
> * * 1 continuous covariate (**WITHIN subjects**) called Score*
>

> *the suggested models were:*ModelRT <- lmer(logRT ~ Race*Sex*Emotion +
> (1 | Subject))
>
> or using lme from the nlme package:
>
> ModelRT <- lme(logRT~Race*Sex*Emotion, random=~1|Subject)
>

> However, where is the Score variable?

  Please try not to send HTML-formatted e-mail to the list ...

  You're right, I was too hasty in answering that question.  I think it should
have been

ModelRT <- lmer(logRT ~ Race*Sex*Emotion + Score +  (Score | Subject))

(I'm a little bit suspicious of the original description, which says
that Sex and Race are "within-subjects" factors ...)