[R-sig-ME] lme4 - equal estimates of regression coefficients across levels of a random effect

Nicolas Deguines nicodeguines at gmail.com
Mon Jun 22 21:21:43 CEST 2015

Thank you Thierry for the note and pointing out the the glmm wiki FAQ.

I understand the models are different but does anyone have more specifics
regarding the meaning of coding a random effect on the slope of multiple
fixed variables, ie what's the difference between:
glmer(response ~ x1 + x2 + x3 + x4 +(x1|year) +(x2|year) +(x3|year)
+(x4|year), … )
and
glmer(response ~ x1 + x2 + x3 + x4 +(x1 + x2 +x3 +x4 | year), … )

Best,
Nicolas

On Thu, Jun 11, 2015 at 10:17 AM, Thierry Onkelinx <thierry.onkelinx at inbo.be