[R-sig-ME] Follow-up: PBmodcomp: pwrssUpdate does not converge with glmer

lorenz.gygax at agroscope.admin.ch lorenz.gygax at agroscope.admin.ch
Thu Jun 11 06:58:54 CEST 2015

Dear all,

Ben Bolker was kind enough to point out that in the most current (development) version of lme4 they had done some work on predict,  simulate, and refit which may help my problem. Indeed, with this version, the error mentioned in the title of this e-Mail does not occur any more (at least as far as we have tested) which is very helpful.

Still, specifically in the bootstraps for calculating p-values in PBmodcomp, quite a few models will not fully converge (in the order of 10%). Is there a recommendation on the maximum proportion of such models that should not be surpassed? Or are there any other ideas what could be done about such a case? Use one of the other approaches that are implemented in pbkrtest? So far it does not seem to be a huge issue because the different estimates of the p-values are quite close to each other really (even the LRT).

Thanks again and regards, Lorenz