[R-sig-ME] [R] Different random intercepts but same random slope for groups

Ben Bolker bbolker at gmail.com
Wed Jun 10 18:45:02 CEST 2015

Li li: *please* stop cc'ing r-help on the reply.

  If group2 and group3 are numeric dummy variables you can add a
difference in the residual variance as follows ...

  alldata$obs <- factor(seq(nrow(alldata)))

  ... + (group2|obs) + (group3|obs) + ...

 you may need to use lmerControl() to override some of the
warnings/errors about having as many levels of the random effect as
there are observations.

  Or you could do this in lme and use weights=varIdent(form=~1|group)