[R-sig-ME] GAMM big data (70K rand effects) guidance

Thierry Onkelinx thierry.onkelinx at inbo.be
Fri May 8 09:44:01 CEST 2015

Dear Steven,

It looks like you have on average about 7 measurements per patient. Are
they taken at somewhat fixed timepoints? E.g. something like ayfu = seq(0,
by = 50, length = 7) + rnorm(7, sd = 2). In that case you could consider to
make the model less complex and treat ayfu as categorical. You won't loose
that much information. Then the model becomes lmer(log(cd4 + 1) ~sex +
timepoint * CD4 + (1|PatientID)). I recommend renaming CD4. Having CD4 and
cd4 in the samen dataset is confusing.

Another thing that I would try is to limit to complexity of the smoother be
setting k = 3.

Best regards,

ir. Thierry Onkelinx
Forest