[R-sig-ME] lme4, failure to converge with a range of optimisers, trust the fitted model anyway?

Hans Ekbrand hans.ekbrand at gmail.com
Sun Apr 5 12:12:01 CEST 2015

On Sun, Apr 05, 2015 at 07:31:25PM +1000, Ken Beath wrote:
> No, you need to treat this still as binomial data, using cbind(y,n-y) as
> the response where y is the number of positives in each group, and n is the
> total in each group.

OK, I'll try that. What is the interpretion of the outcome in this
case, is it still the logit of the probability of the outcome?

> I suggest reading one of the books that discusses
> fitting logistic models in R, most advanced texts have a
> section. Introductory Statistics with R by Peter Dalgaard has the section
> available in Amazon.

I actually already have that one, quite good.

> You also still need a random effect for the cluster.
>
> While I'm thinking of it, should clusters and country random effects have
> been crossed. Generally the sampling is setup so that clusters are nested
> within countries which requires a different syntax.

I'm sorry but I haven't been clear on this, but the clusters are
nested within countries, so there are no crossed random effects to be
found.