[R-sig-ME] design matrices in MCMCglmm

Jarrod Hadfield j.hadfield at ed.ac.uk
Fri Apr 3 09:16:02 CEST 2015

Hi,

Have columns mate_1, mate_2 ... mate_n where n is group size. In each
column have the identity of each cage mate (order does not matter).
Make sure each column has the same factor levels even if they don't
appear. For example,

factor(mate_1, levels=all.ids)

where all.ids are all possible cage mates. Then fit:

random=~mm(mate_1+mate_2+...mate_n):animal

where animal is linked to the pedigree through the ginverse argument.

Cheers,

Jarrod

Quoting Alexandre Martin <alexandre.m.martin at gmail.com> on Tue, 31 Mar
2015 10:07:34 -0400:

> Hi Jarrod,
>
> Thank you for your help.
> My question is now extended to the subject of associative indirect
> genetic effects.
>
> For example in this data set :
> id    cage
> a    1
> b    2
> c    1
> d    1
> e    2
> f    2
> g    2
>
> cage is a grouping variable describing the composition of cages. For
> instance, individuals a,c,d live in cage 1.
>
> Design matrix Z_cage typically produced by MCMCglmm should be:
>      c1   c2
> a    1    0
> b    0    1
> c    1    0
> d    1    0
> e    0    1
> f    0    1
> g    0    1
> where phenotype of individuals {a, b, ..., g} are linked to cages 1 and 2.
>
> Design matrix Z_mates, however, linking the phenotype of individual
> i to its cage' mates is:
>      a    b    c    d    e    f    g
> a    0    0    1    1    0    0    0
> b    0    0    0    0    1    1    1
> c    1    0    0    1    0    0    0
> d    1    0    1    0    0    0    0
> e    0    1    0    0    0    1    1
> f    0    1    0    0    1    0    1
> g    0    1    0    0    1    1    0
>
> It is Z_cage that is given by default, whereas it is matrix Z_mates
> that should be used to predict associative effects.
>
> Is it possible to force MCMCglmm to work with Z_mates instead of Z_cage?
>
> Thanks again!
>
> Alexandre
>
> Le 2015-03-28 04:01, Jarrod Hadfield a écrit :
>> Hi Alexandre,
>>
>> The design matrices should be identical for both effects (z_{ij}=1 if
>> the jth individual is the mother of individual i). The difference is in
>> the correlation structure of the random effects. For environmental
>> maternal effects they are assumed iid (i.e. an identity matrix) but for
>> the maternal genetic effects they are assumed to be proportional to the
>> A matrix. inverseA will return the inverse of A if you pass it the
>> pedigree. It is this inverse that is required for forming the MME.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Jarrod
>>

>> Quoting Alexandre Martin <alexandre.m.martin at gmail.com> on Fri, 27 Mar
>> 2015 16:39:40 -0400:
>>
>>> Dear all,
>>>
>>> I am working on estimating maternal effects (genetic and environmental)
>>> with MCMCglmm that is new for me.
>>>
>>> I am trying to apply to MCMCglmm what is shown in online Muir's course
>>> notes made for SAS. Leanning on Henderson?s Mixed Model Equation, these
>>> notes explain how to solve MME to predict random effects ?by hand?.
>>>
>>> Here is my concern:

> [...]

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.